Welcome and Guidance Actions

The welcome and guidance procedure starts as soon as fresher students are admitted to the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos and includes the following actions:

  • Welcome designed to inform students about the degree programme structure and how the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos is organized, as well as announcing the guidance and welcome actions available to students.
  • Help with finding accommodation provided by the External Relations Office to supplement the information posted by the UPM's student welcoming service on the UPM's web site.
  • Provision of information on grants and support for Master in Software and Systems students participating in any of the research groups of which programme faculty are members.
  • International mentors programme, coordinated by the External Relations Office, designed to provide a welcome and guidance for international students. Student volunteers act as mentors for international students, dealing with matters of cultural differences, accommodation and Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos procedures.
  • Personalized attention from the Master in Software and Systems Coordination Committee to provide any additional information about the Master in Software and Systems course structure, contents, guidance, etc.
  • Students will receive guidance about the enrolment process as part of the Enrolment Scheme implemented by the Master in Software and Systems' Academic Policy Committee. Students shall enrol via the online enrolment platform.

The Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos's SGIC has provided mechanisms for supporting and guiding students through the "tutoring process". Below it is included a list of specific actions which will be carried out to support and guide enrolled students:

  • Academic tutorials by each faculty member to answer questions about the subject he or she teaches: The timetable for academic tutorials is listed in the teaching schedule of the Department of which the Master in Software and Systems faculty are members.
  • Special-purpose information sessions on mobility options for students, especially regarding international mobility. This is the responsibility of the External Relations Office, which provides students participating in or intending to opt for mobility programmes with guidance and administrative support.
  • English language training programmes for students that intend to opt for international mobility programmes, offered by the University's Centro de Lenguas.
  • Master's Final Project Assignment Scheme: the Master's Academic Policy Committee shall be responsible for internally assigning supervisors and master's final projects to eligible students in each academic year, taking into account student preferences for a specific research line and the workload of potential tutors.
  • Information scheme on research groups led by Master in Software and Systems faculty offering student internships. Depending on the topic to be developed in the Master's Final Project, the student will be given guidance about the research groups investigating related issues.
  • Information on grants and bursaries from the Associate Dean's Office for Student Affairs and from the UPM's grants and aids web page.
  • Special-purpose actions for international students who will receive assistance with the academic documents required to process visas.
  • Special-purpose actions for students with special educational needs and information on accessible entrances for people with disabilities.
  • External Relations Office: this office offers guidance and informative support to students intending to apply for industrial internships or grants to complete their Master's Final Project or for jobs after they have completed the course.
  • Annual employment forum organized jointly with sector companies to offer recruitment advice to students. This is the responsibility of the Students' Guild in partnership with the External Relations Office.
  • UPM email account. Information on how to activate your email account will be available at the UPM web site.
  • The Sick Bay is open every day at the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos, and the Psychological Support Service offered by the UPM visits the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos once per week.

Policy regulations for that MSS students continue the Master

As a requirement of permanence to continue studies in the Master's degree in Software and Systems a student must pass at least 12 ECTS the first year and at least 30 ECTS credits in the first two years of enrolment. In addition, students must finish their studies, as maximum, in 3 academic years. In the event that the student, for cause, has not exceeded the minimum number of credits required or has run out the three academic years, and want to continue her/his studies in the Master programme, must submit an application to the Academic Committee of the University’s Master in Software and Systems, which will make a decision according to the current regulations and the grounds stated by the student.

In any case, the Master’s regulations for permanency must comply the "rules established by the UPM for the procedure of permanence in Master’s degrees" of degrees regulated by the RD822/2021.

Master schedule

Master in Software and Systems started in the academic year 2010-2011.

FAQs (and some answers)

We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all the information listed here, as some of it depends on other institutions that may unilaterally alter their conditions, rates, etc. Students are advised to visit the links on this page and listed in the Contact section.

Where is the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos

The Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos is located in the outskirts of Madrid, in the district of Boadilla del Monte and, specifically, at the Montegancedo Campus. The transport options for reaching the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos are private car (from highway M-40), taxi, regional bus and light rail (linked with the Metro -subway- network).

For directions on how to reach the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos, see Our location.

Where can I find information on agreements or cooperation agreements and aid for student exchange programmes?

The External Relations Office is responsible for the management of agreements, cooperation agreements, exchanges, etc. for all students in the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos.

What are the material resources and services available to the Master students?

All the Escuela TécnicaSuperior de Ingenieros Informáticos material resources and services are available to any Master student that may need it. A summary of these services can be obtained by consulting the faculty Services and Resources webpage, while the facilities and classrooms available can be found on the Facilities webpage.

How much does it cost to complete the Master programme?

Public prices for university postgraduate programmes (fees) are set every year by Madrid's Regional Government within the limits established by the Higher Education Coordination Council. Apart from the cost of living in Madrid, Master in Software and Systems course provisional fees for the 2023/24 academic year are as follows:

  • Subject credits: 45.02 euros per credit in first enrolment, 71.88 euros per credit in second enrolment and 84.07 euros per credit from the thrid enrolment. Unless they have resident status (excluding residence for tuition purposes), non-EU nationals shall be charged 84.07 euros per ECTS credit.
  • Opening of academic record: 34.77 euros
  • Registry fees and replacement student cards: 6.11 euros
  • Student insurance: 1.12 euros
  • Compulsory insurance for students aged over 28 years: 5.00 euros
  • Nacional mobility insurance: 5.00 euros
  • Internacional mobility insurance: 189-259 euros
  • Academic certificates and academic transcript transfer: 27.54 euros
  • Certification of documents: 10.43 euros
  • Master's degree certificate issuance: 176.27 euros

Members of general-category large families are entitled to a 50% reduction on the above rates. Members of special-category large families are exempt from paying tuition fees. Student with a grant from the Ministerio de Educación y Formación Profesional, victims of terrorism, officially disabled students, victims of gender violence, participants on international peace and security operations and beneficiaries of the minimum vital income could obtain benefits in the Master prices (refer to Postgraduate Office for further details).

How can I pay the programme fees?

The enrolment can be paid in advance or using payment in instalments (up to 8).

The allowed payment options are:

  • Using credit/debit card (Visa or MasterCard).
  • Direct debit at a Spanish bank. To direct the payment, the data relating to the holder and the account number (IBAN) must be completed. According to the SEPA regulations, students must present a direct debit order, which will be generated at the time of formalizing their enrolment. Once printed and signed by the account holder, a scanned copy must be emailed to School's Registry.
  • Bank receipt. The payment letter will be generated at the time of formalizing the enrolment. Once printed, the amount must be paid at any of the banking entities and within the expiration dates indicated in the payment letter.

From the receipt management program it will be possible to consult, print or modify the payment method chosen when registering.

How can I obtain the university card?

The university card serves as university identification and allows access to all the services and buildings that require entry control: laboratories, libraries, sports facilities..., in addition to being necessary for the loan of books and equipment in the libraries of the UPM.

The Virtual University Card can be obtained in the app of the UPM, which is available for download for Android systems (UPMapp, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Universia, at Google Play) and iOS (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Universia, at Apple's APP Store).

Where can I do the administrative procedures, such as enroling, applying for the degree...?

There is a Registry at the School where all the students' administrative procedures can be done. For Master students, the Postgraduate Office will help with all the administrative procedures (enrolment, applying for the degree, changes in personal data, certificates...).

In the specific case of enrolment, it can be done in person at the School's Postgraduate Office or on-line at the Self Enrolment available during the ordinary enrolment periods. Before enrolment, is better to read the self enrolment instructions and the instructions for Master enrolment.

Official academic certificates can be requested both at the Postgraduate Office and through the UPM Electronic Office.

Where will I live?

If you are unable to arrange your accommodation before you arrive to Madrid, a reasonable strategy is to first book provisional accommodation and then look for a longer-term option when you arrive. This page contains links with information on addresses. The Comunidad de Madrid's webpage Vivir en Madrid and the UPM Vice-Rector's Office for Students also offers information on different student accommodation options. Some general advice follows.

September is usually not a good time to find accommodation (especially permanent), because many workers and students come to Madrid after the summer holidays. On the other hand, you may find that in August, although officially open for business as usual, some offices are closed and there is not much on offer. We suggest that, whenever possible, you look for accommodation before (or during) the month of July.

Provisional accommodation

  • Some Colegios Mayores (institutions specialized in student accommodation that often organize cultural activities and usually provide study rooms, dining halls and computer rooms) offer accommodation on a daily basis during the months of July, August and September. One of the best is C.M.U. San Juan Evangelista.
  • There are many small, reasonably priced boarding or guest houses (again, see the links on this site). Of course, we advise that you choose carefully and shop around before you make your decision.
  • If you are an IYHF card holder, you are eligible to stay at any of the hostels available in Madrid.

Long-term accommodation

The usual options are:

Shared or individual flat
Many students prefer this option and usually share a flat with other Spanish or international students. This is the most affordable option. The price ranges from 200 to 500 euros per month. You can find flats:
  • Through ads at the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos (rooms for rent and want-ads)
  • Through ads at the Ciudad Universitaria
  • Through online housing classifieds
  • Through specialized agencies (Spotahome, Uniplaces...)
Landladies or private owners
Private individuals or families that offer accommodation, including the monthly payment of a number of services, such as cleaning, laundry, meals, etc., to be negotiated with the guest.
Private accommodation agencies
A convenient, albeit not inexpensive (because they charge a fee for their services), way of finding accommodation in Madrid for weeks or months is to engage the services of an accommodation agency.
University Halls of Residence (Colegios Mayores)
There are many possible choices in the Ciudad Universitaria area, but applications should be submitted in advance: the closing date for applications usually ends in late May. They are quite expensive (beginning at 550 euros per month), but they do provide board and services such as cleaning, laundry, library, sports facilities and cultural and recreational activities in return. Madrid's Regional Government offers a Hall of Residence search service. Some University Halls of Residence are:

How much does it cost to live in Madrid?

Although not as expensive as other European capitals, Madrid is not an inexpensive city to live in. For example, the cost of renting a one-bedroom flat starts at around 400 euros per month. You can find rooms in shared flats starting at 200 euros per month. Of course, all these prices depend on the area and do not include the proportional cost of water, electricity, phone, communal charges, etc.

Note for international students: the Spanish Government will not issue a student's visa required for residence in Spain unless you have a means of guaranteeing your livelihood. An amount of money held in a bank account or a grant award is acceptable proof for this purpose. We suggest that you contact your nearest embassy or consulate sufficiently beforehand.

How can I certify that I have an English-language proficiency level of B2 or equivalent?

To be eligible for a Master programme at UPM, students must have a specified level of English proficiency, sufficient to ensure that they will be able to follow the lectures. The Council of Europe has established a number of language proficiency levels through the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment (CEFR). A person with a B2 level of language proficiency is considered to have the following knowledge and skills:

  • Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialization.
  • Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
  • Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.

To certify that they have an English proficiency level of B2, students should submit an official certificate specifying that they have attained the above level or any other equivalent examination certificate, such as:

  • Escuelas Oficiales de Idiomas Españolas
    • RD 1041/2017: Certificado de Nivel Intermedio B2
    • RD 1629/2006: Certificado de Nivel Avanzado
  • Certificados homologados por ACLES (Asociación de Centros de Lenguas en la Enseñanza Superior)
    • CertAcles B2
  • Cambridge Assessment English ESOL Examinations
    • First Certificate in English
    • Linguaskill / Linguaskill Business: B2
    • BEC (Business English Certificates): Vantage (BEC 2)
    • ICFE / ILEC (International Certificate in Financial / Legal English): PASS B2
    • IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Academic & General: ≥ 5.5
    • BULATS (Business Language Testing System) Four skills: ≥ 60
  • Educational Testing System
    • TOEFL – iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language - Internet Based): ≥ 72
    • TOEIC (Test of English for International Communications) Four skills: ≥ 1095
  • APTIS (British Council)
    • B2
  • Capman Testing Solutions 360 LPT (Language Proficiency Test) Four Skills
    • B2
  • Oxford Test of English B
    • B2
  • Certificados homologados UNIcert
    • Nivel 2
  • Certificat de Compétences en Langues de l’Enseignement Sup’erieur (CLES)
    • CLES 2
  • The European Language Certificates (TELC)
    • TELC B2
  • University of Michigan (Cambridge Michigan Language Assessments)
    • Certificate of Competency in English (ECCE)
  • Trinity College, London (ISE)
    • Integrated Skills in English examinations (ISE): ISE II
  • London Test of English (LTE)
    • Level 3
  • PTE (Pearson Test of English)
    • General: level 3
    • Academic: ≥ 59
    • Edexcel certificate in ESOL International: level 1
  • Learning Resource Network
    • Certificate in ESOL International, Four skills: LRN Level 1
    • General: IELCA CEF B2
  • Anglia ESOL Examinations
    • General: Advanced
    • Business: Advanced
  • LanguageCert International ESOL Listening, Reading, Writing, Speaking
    • Communicator B2
  • Cambridge Boxhill Language Assessment (CBLA) OET (Occupational English Test)
    • B2
  • Have completed a bachelor or master’s degree at the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
  • Have passed an internal B2-level language test at the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (based on CAPMAN)
  • Be a native English speaker
  • Have completed his/her higher education in English or in an English-speaking country

How can I improve my Spanish or my English?

Students applying for this postgraduate programme should have a good knowledge of Spanish and English. The UPM offers different options for studying languages through the Centro de Lenguas. To this end, several Spanish language and culture courses, as well as courses in other languages, such as English, German, Chinese, etc., are scheduled throughout the year. In any case, there are many language schools with a wide variety of prices and schedules in Madrid.

What is the Tuition Fee Deposit?

Admitted students without previous studies at the UPM must pay their Tuition Fee Deposit in the prescribed dates in the calendar just after being admitted. Admission will be cancelled for those admitted students who do not complete the process on time. The amount of the Tuition Fee Deposit is 250 euros, which will later be deducted from the amount of the enrolment. There will be no refund in case of not complete the enrolment. More information about the process can be found on the Tuition Fee Deposit page of the UPM.

Will I have WiFi access to the Internet at the UPM?

UPM offers access via the eduroam initiative. Anyone with access to this network can log on from anywhere at the UPM (after installing the appropriate settings). UPM students also have access to this network (instructions for use are given on the UPM website Wireless Network section).

Can I use my own personal or professional email address instead of UPM email?

It is essential to use always the UPM email for everything related to the Master or the University. The UPM and the Master programme will only use this email for all the official notifications, so it is mandatory tu use it regularly. In addition, any message among students and professors, programme or University should use the UPM email, that allows students identification.

In summary, the UPM email should be used always. If one student does not want to use the webmail service, an email client should be configured to access the UPM email, so the student does not miss important notifications.

Can I have access to software at the UPM?

La UPM offers access to different types of software for use by students. Among the productos offered, we can mention MicroSoft Office 365, MicroSoft OneDrive, Moodle, MicroSoft Teams, Zoom..., as well as software from Adobe, Autodesk, Bitdefender, IBM, Maplesoft, MathWorks, Microsoft, Oracle...

To use this software, the registration or activation would be necessary, following the instructions for the student's software.

It is especially important to register trough UPM on the platforms Moodle, MicroSoft Teams (register in Teams) and Zoom, since we can use any of these services during the lessons requiring authorized access with the account of the UPM.

Apart from grants from official institutions, what other funding options are there?

Some private institutions (banks, savings banks, large corporations, etc.) award student grants. However, there is usually a great deal of competition, and they generally target a specific field of study. Even so, it is an option well worth considering.

Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos professors can, at their discretion, offer internships and research grants generally associated with research and development projects. In this case, the work and research to be carried out are completely dictated by the topic of the project covered by the grant. On the other hand, they offer an unbeatable opportunity for joining the research and education system.

Where can I obtain information on scholarships and grants?

Ministry of Education and Vocational Training

Comunidad de Madrid

Universidad Politécnica de Madrid

Information on other sources of grants

Where can I obtain other useful information?

Ministry of Universities

Madrid Regional Government

Universidad Politécnica de Madrid

Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos

Information on accommodation

European Higher Education Area

Ministry of Inclusion, Social Security and Migrations

The web is in Spanish and in English. Which one is the official version?

The official version of all the Master's information, terms and conditions is the Spanish version. We may provide a translation into English as a courtesy, but the Spanish language version shall prevail and be used in any dispute or difference.

I would like to study at the Facultad de Informática at the UPM. Where can I find information?

The Facultad de Informática (IT Faculty) was renamed Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos in 2013. However, the only thing that has changed is its name: the degree programmes, faculty, location… everything except the name is the same as before.

Do you have any more questions?

We can help you out at: