Master's general competences were approved by the School Board (15 June 2009) at the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos and are those set out in the following list.
- CG1. Students can apply the acquired knowledge and their problem solving abilities in new or unfamiliar environments within broader (or multidisciplinary) contexts related to their field of study
- CG2. Que los estudiantes sean capaces de integrar conocimientos y enfrentarse a la complejidad de formular juicios a partir de una información que, siendo incompleta o limitada, incluya reflexiones sobre las responsabilidades sociales y éticas vinculadas a la aplicación de sus conocimientos y juicios.
- CG3. Students can communicate their conclusions, and the knowledge and rationale underpinning these, to specialist and non-specialist audiences clearly and unambiguously
- CG4. Students have the learning skills to allow them to continue to study in a manner that may be largely self-directed and autonomous
- CG5. Organization and planning.
- CG6. Information Management.
- CG7. Specification and completion of informatics tasks that are complex, incompletely defined or unfamiliar
- CG8. Formulation and solution of problems including new and emerging areas of their discipline
- CG9. Application of state-of-the-art or innovative problem-solving methods, possibly involving the use of other disciplines
- CG10. Ability to think creatively with the aim of developing new and original approaches and methods
- CG11. Integration of knowledge from different disciplines and handling complexity
- CG12. Comprehensive understanding of applicable techniques and methods for a particular specialisation, and of their limitations
- CG13. Awareness of the limits of today's knowledge and the practical application of the state-of-the-art technology
- CG14. Knowledge and understanding of informatics to create information models, complex systems and processes
- CG15. Ability to contribute to the further development of informatics.
- CG16. Ability for independent work in their professional field
- CG17. Skills required to manage and lead a team that may be composed of people from different disciplines and levels
- CG18. Ability to work and communicate also in international contexts.
- CG19. Systematic approach to risk management
- CGI20. Acquisition of advanced scientific knowledge on the informatics field to be able to generate new ideas within a line of research
- CGI21. Understanding of the procedure, value and limits of the scientific method in the software and systems field, as well as identification, location and collection of data required to research, design and lead analytical, modelling and experimental research, and critically appraise data and interpret findings
- CGI22. Appreciation of the importance of and management of documentary sources, and search for information to develop research of any kind
- CGI23. Ability to read, understand and catalogue publications within their field of study/research, as well as appreciate their scientific value
- CGI24. Students have essential knowledge about research and technology transfer funding, as well as the legislation on data protection applicable to the conduct of research and the legal protection of results
The Commission for the Development of the Proposed Master Curriculum in Software and Systems, Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos, UPM has been responsible for establishing the specific competences which covers the MSS and that are set out as follows.
- CEM1. Examination of the state of the art to identify research problems related to the design, construction, use and evaluation of complex software-intensive sociotechnical systems
- CEM2. Analysis and synthesis of solutions to problems requiring innovative approaches to the definition of the computational infrastructure, processing and analysis of heterogeneous data types
- CEM3. Application of relevant research methods to open problems in the field of software engineering related to both the particular features of the software and software development management
- CEM4. Analysis and evaluation of several software-based systems construction and management engineering paradigms and approaches
- CEM5. Contribution of solutions to open problems related to software verification and validation applications and methods, techniques and tools
- CEM6. Investigation of the main active research lines in the field of distributed computing paradigms, their practical applications and necessary infrastructure management
- CEM7. Evaluation and application of diverse mathematical and statistical theories, and available knowledge extraction and discovery processes, methods and techniques for large data volumes
- CEM8. Application of the theoretical and mathematical foundations of heterogeneous functions and data processing and analysis and evaluation and design of related methods for application in practical domains
- CEM9. Evaluation of the most innovative human-computer interaction technologies and critical appraisal of the contributions to related research problems